Giving You Back Your Body
A Mastopexy or breast lift is a procedure done to make sagging or drooping breasts look better. Breast sagging or drooping, also called breast ptosis, is very common and there are several factors that can contribute to this. In addition to simply having sagging breasts, some women also have deflated breasts. In this case, the breast volume has been lost and there is mostly just sagging “empty” skin.
Some factors which contribute to sagging breasts include:
- Heredity, this can be genetic
- Gravity, which pulls the breasts downward over time
- Aging (the skin loses its elasticity and ability to support the breasts)
- Fluctuations in weight. If you lose weight, you may have excess skin causing the breasts to sag.
What a Breast Lift Can Do Versus What it Cannot
A breast lift will change the shape of your breasts to make them appear fuller and higher on the chest. It restores the proper position of the breasts on the chest. When the breasts begin to droop, the nipple and areolae tend to sag below the level of the breast crease and the nipples may point downward as well. A breast lift corrects this by relocating the areolae and nipples higher on the breasts. It may also improve the firmness of the breasts.
What a breast lift won’t do is change the size of your breasts significantly. In fact, the volume of your breasts stays about the same, but the 3D shape changes. If you are unhappy with the overall size and volume of your breasts, you may require a breast augmentation or enlargement, where a breast implant is used. This can sometimes be performed at the same time as a breast lift. However, not everyone is a candidate for this because by doing both procedures at once, there is an increased rate of complications. If your breasts are very deflated in addition to sagging, a breast lift alone will not improve firmness and volume. Also, if you are looking for breast fullness or roundness high on the chest, or an “enhanced look”, a breast lift alone will not give you the result you seek.
Types of Breast Lifts
There are three basic types of breast lift procedures. Each one requires the removal of some of the breast skin and the restoration and repositioning of the nipple and areolae. As with any plastic surgery, no single procedure is right for everyone. Your consultation with Dr. Fisher will determine which procedure is right for you.
The various types of breast lifts include:
- The periareolar breast lift, or concentric lift, is a lift done only with incisions around the areola. Ideally, this type of breast lift corrects mild ptosis. Few people are candidates for having a good result with only this type of lift.
- The vertical breast lift, or lollipop lift, is performed with incisions that go both around the areola and vertically down to the breast crease from the areola.
- The inverted T breast lift, or anchor lift, has the above incisions but also requires a horizontal incision in the breast crease.
Contact us today at (702) 362-5960 to learn more from our Las Vegas plastic surgeon!
Why Choose Dr. Orna Fisher?
- Virtual Telehealth Consultations for Convenience & Privacy
- Boutique Practice, Private and Personalized
- Double Board Certified Female Plastic Surgeon
- Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Voted Best Cosmetic Surgeon in the Best of Silver State Awards and Multiple Top Doctor Awards
- Participates Consistently in Continuing Education to Provide Best Practices
- Known for Her Surgical Precision and for Her Personalized Approach With Patients
- Mission is to Provide Her Patients With Top Quality Plastic Surgery and The Latest Cosmetic Procedures